Why You Should Learn How to Embroider


If you ever scroll through Etsy or Instagram, you’ve probably noticed that the popularity of embroidery hoops is on the rise.  And while I’m all for supporting small businesses and buying their hoop art, I also really want to encourage you to try it for yourself. It may seem like a granny-ish thing to do but it’s actually becoming a really cool and trendy activity right now! There are so many benefits to the hobby that I’ve found since I picked it up myself, and I want to share them with you; hopefully I can convince you to try it out!


1.     It’s useful

Ever since I learned how to embroider, random sewing jobs have come my way. I had to sew a hole in one of my favorite shirts, and when I was finished it was almost undetectable! I even had one of my neighbors in my dorm knock on our door and ask if any of us knew how to sew. I was able to help him fix a hole in his pants before a date! I felt a little like a super hero, I can’t lie.

2.     It makes a great gift

I only started this hobby over the summer, and I’ve already been able to turn four hoops into gifts. They make awesome presents because they’re cheap to make, and most people really appreciate handmade gifts! I made one for my mom that said “home is where mom is” and it totally made her tear up. Is there any better reaction to a gift than that?

3.     It’s a potential money maker

Sure there are already a bunch of Etsy shops dedicated to this stuff, but if you have your own ideas or are open to one of a kind commissions, you can make serious bank with hoops! Or you can sell to family and friends if you aren’t ready for a full on business.  It can be time consuming, but it’s a relatively cheap start-up, so if you have the time, it’s worth a shot!

4.     It’s relaxing

One of my favorite things to do after a long day of classes is to curl up on the couch with a hoop while I watch TV (ok maybe it is a little granny-ish). If you have the hoop planned out ahead of time, it’s pretty easy to knock one out during an episode of Scandal. Sometimes I finish one and wonder how I got it done so fast!

5.     It’s fun!

Ok even if none of these reasons were enough to convince you, embroidery is a really fun skill and hobby to have! I genuinely enjoy coming up with new designs to embroider, and watching them come to life by my own hand. I love having hobbies that give me a physical finished product that I can be proud of! As an artist, embroidery is just a new medium for me. I personally don’t sell mine, so it really is purely for my own enjoyment!

Here are some of my favorite pieces of mine:






So did I do my job? Have I convinced you to pick up a needle and hoop? Let me know if you have any tips or suggestions for new hoops!




Post a Comment